[bf1942] Low Impact Bandwidth Usage

Christopher Kunz chrislist at de-punkt.de
Thu Nov 27 12:43:43 EST 2003

Soeren Gerlach wrote:

>>How can I check the bandwidth usage on my server without causing a severe
>>performance impact?
>

> Try MRTG: http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/. Easy to setup,
> nearly no performance impact and it just creates static HTML pages without
> need for mysql/php/.... If you've got a linux/BSD box, there are various
> scripts out there that read the number of transfered bytes e.g. from the
> "ifconfig" command.

Tobi Oetiker has also written the great RRDTool, which is seen as the
successor to MRTG. It's slightly harder to set up, but gives much nicer
graphs with better configuration options. You might want to check that
out, too.

--ck

--
php development | hosting |  housing | professional game server hosting
http://www.de-punkt.de   [ chris at de-punkt.de ]    http://www.stormix.de