[bf1942] Tards to ban

Eric J. Schultz paradxum at thecookieshop.net
Fri May 30 18:49:41 EDT 2003

well as has been already stated, MAC addresses are not know past the phisical layer... not the way to go. but here's the other thing... just because most cheaters and TKr's
don't have the knowldege to spoof a mac doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.... most
cheaters have NO idea how to hack. They are not the ones who write it, I am <G>.
(actually I haven't writen one for bf but I have in games past. I'm past that now.)
Basically what I'm saying is that just because it's hard to do don't think that
it'll keep the number of people who exploit it low.

I agree with the thread that a uniqid would be best to ban by. IP is just not that
good of a choice. Since many places use NAT you end up banning an entire location.
(I wonder why 20 people dropped from banning just that one ip? <G>)

Just my weekly 2cents.

Eric

> there should be already something like that, because the cd-key is checked
> when you connect.
> this check isnt done local on the client, its done via gamespy if im not wrong.
> i dont know if this is done via the complete cdkey or a hash, but a guess
> its a hash.
>
> the idea with MACs seem interesting too. pretty sure the most cheaters and
> TK'ers haven't the knowledge to spoof a MAC.
>

> At 11:22 30.05.2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >ban by Md5 or Sh2 hash of CD KEY, but this would require a protocol
> >revision if it is not already being sent to the server this way.
> >
> >Quoting Steve Getman <steve at lightcubed.com>:
> >
> > > Question is, does the CD Key actually get sent to the server?  My
> > > guess
> > > would be that it is not.  Having it sent may not be a good idea either
> > > since it could theoretically be captured and used for pirated copies
> > > of
> > > the game.
> > >
> > > An alternative way to handle bans might be to base them on MAC
> >address.
> > >
> > > These are unique per ethernet card so it wouldn't matter if the tard
> > > tried
> > > to change his ip.  The downside is that MAC addresses can be spoofed
> > > fairly easily by someone who knows how.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Steve Getman
> > > steve at lightcubed.com