[bf1942] By the time BF is setup for a linux server

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Sun May 25 18:28:26 EDT 2003

--On Sunday, May 25, 2003 6:28 PM +0200 "Klemen Gersak (515TEM Compaq)"
<klemen at 515tem.com> wrote:

> but another problem will occure with the 1.4 patch. A flood of linux
> servers. That means a lot more than just these 1000 win servers we can
> find online these days.

Oh god. Think of all the newbs joining this list! ;)

> Dice SHOULD concider a better filtering system. I like HL and UT2003
> filters best. Medal of Honor and BF (dedicated&password) filters are no
> good or not enough at least...

True, but my team uses ASE and GameSpy3D externally for filtering. GS has a
very nice boolean language for specifying filters with string and numeric
comparison on any rule. It also has a nice buddy list feature that looks
for a list of substrings in all players' names, and you can sort servers
based on how many buddies are on a server.

I do wish the in-game dialogs were keyboard-sensitive instead of requiring
a mouse click on the "ok". I hate the dreadful mouse sensitivity in the
screens with dialogs, as it's hard to find the "ok" button to hit and slows
down my exit to get back to GameSpy3D. (This is mainly an issue if I get
dropped from a server crash. If I'm leaving on my own, I bring down the
console and type "quit" to get out fast.)