[bf1942] Question for a dead list

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Fri May 23 18:40:56 EDT 2003

--On Friday, May 23, 2003 2:23 PM +0200 "Fredriksson, Andreas"
<andreas.fredriksson at dice.se> wrote:

> what I meant was to enable the user to use the tty the server
> is running on to give console commands as well as check status.
>
> You could then ssh to your server box, type screen -r and type away.

Is that usable by automated tools?

Presumably you already have structure to allow multiple game clients to
simultaneously issue console commands, so adding another console shouldn't
be too tough? Perhaps later you could add an optional "telnet port" that
provides a simple TCP socket for issuing console commands. One would
typically configure it to bind to some port (eg. "server.telnetPort =
127.0.0.1:1234", "server.telnetPassword = hackme") and then a local app
(say, a web server) can connect to it to configure the server and report
status.