[bf1942] SMP

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Sat May 17 00:21:24 EDT 2003

--On Friday, May 16, 2003 6:58 PM -0700 Jon <MMmmGood at cox.net> wrote:

> Well currently we run 5-6 BF servers on dual xeon 2.66s with a max all
> together of about 110 players.  Would be nice though to squeeze a bit more
> out of it though.

Multithreading won't do that in that situation, BF is too much of a CPU hog
so the primary thread will still be tied up for some server. The main
advantage of multithreading is this case would be to reduce any blocking
for lengthy stuff, but that can also be accomplished with a suitable state
machine. The state machine is harder to code and get right, but uses less
resources than a separate thread since there's no tasking cost.