[bf1942] Linux server status report: 2003-03-31

Stewart, John johns at artesyncp.com
Mon Mar 31 11:35:08 EST 2003

> no, we haven't been able to reproduce it yet on the old server, but
> we will surely try. Focus so far has been on integration and
> development
> rather than more extensive testing, that phase will follow soon.

FYI, the most reproducible symptom of the "bungee effect" has been for me as an engineer. Especially on Coral Sea, for example.

You'll start repairing a ship and as the engineer's meter goes down the ship's goes up. This seems to continue for a bit, but apparently the feedback you get is only your client-side prediction - after a while you see the ship's meter "jump", usually down from where the client thought it was at, as the client-side has predicted too much repairing. It happens every time for me when repairing, whereas other effects of the bungee bug appear to be more intermittent (like the zoom in/zoom out issue).

> We've had a lot of success with other things regarding the
> linux port lately
> so I'm very optimistic :-)

I am too; been saying to my admins and users things should be getting better Real Soon Now.

Good luck and thank you very much!

johnS