[bf1942] Linux server status report: 2003-03-31

Anton Jansen gradius at fmf.nl
Mon Mar 31 08:46:38 EST 2003

Hi,

First of all thanks for the update. Some feedback from my side ..

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Fredriksson, Andreas wrote:

> - The Linux server is compiled with gcc3 now, and this has uncovered
>   some pretty nasty bugs that were masked out by gcc2/msvc. I'm still
>   sorting out library issues and how we are going to distribute the
>   package. Would a completely static version be acceptable for people
>   with older distributions?

Static versions will certainly help to reduce issues related to shared
libraries which are not compatible. It will make the executables huge, but
in the case of BF you already need a pretty heavy machine in the first
place, so this wouldn't be a very big problem I guess. In the long run you
might want to switch back to dynamic linking, but "real" bug hunting is
more on top of my priority list then a small executable.

By the way, don't forget to include the debugging info into the
executables, so you get some feedback in the case of a core dump ;-)

Kind regards,

Anton Jansen