Linux server status report: 2003-03-31

Fredriksson, Andreas andreas.fredriksson at dice.se
Mon Mar 31 08:20:14 EST 2003

Hello people, here's the status update for last week.

- Win32 and Linux code has been merged into a common codebase. This
  has the side effect that we cannot instantly release a new 1.31 patch
  since the head revision of our code contains changes not yet released
  for win32.

  We are considering a backport of all our fixes to 1.31 but I can't
  comment on the status of that right now until management has had a
  time to look at it. I'll keep you posted.

- The Linux server is compiled with gcc3 now, and this has uncovered
  some pretty nasty bugs that were masked out by gcc2/msvc. I'm still
  sorting out library issues and how we are going to distribute the
  package. Would a completely static version be acceptable for people
  with older distributions?

- The server now uses the same threaded UDP I/O subsystem as the win32
  server but does so without increasing the thread priority of the listener
  thread. We haven't had any problems with this yet but it might not work
  out for some slower or very busy machines. We believe this is a good
change
  in the long run though.

- We have not been able to reproduce the Bungee effect; it might be related
  to the single threaded I/O used in the earlier betas.

I'll keep you posted with information on upcoming releases and status
reports.

Regards,
Andreas