[bf1942] BF1942 Player Statistics

David Harrison trogspam at games.telstra.com
Sat Mar 29 01:31:19 EST 2003

Just copy the way Half-Life does it.

Directory structure and file name conventions mean nothing to me - I'd
rather have decent information being logged and flexible functionality so we
can work around it as possible.

As a few other people have mentioned, unique IDs for players is something
that is needed not only for any decent logging mechanism, but also to
provide any decent administrative functionality in the game. The
administrative functionality that is currently in Battlefield 1942 is, I'm
sorry to say, completely inadequate. Unless server administrators have the
ability to ban via unique ID, it greatly hampers the ability to efficiently
control a server (especially in a game so prone to social problems as
BF1942).

Anyway, back to the logging.

I'd really like to see the ability to remotely log (hey, just like
Half-Life) because that means we can redirect the log files to a server
dedicated to just handling statistics (we currently have several of these)
and leave all the log processing off the game server to ensure maximum
efficiency. (While we're dreaming, a non-stateful remote administration
feature would be good to allow for better remote administration) The last
thing I want to have to worry about on my already CPU intensive BF1942
servers is them doing even more stuff like calculating and displaying
statistics!

I'd like to see each line time stamped with the local date and time. It'd
also be great if there were various levels of logging, allowing for various
amounts of information to be saved.

It'd be good if game events such as rounds starting, flags being captured,
rounds ending, were all logged. It'd be great if each kill was logged along
with a description of how the kill occured (eg, what weapon).

I can appreciate that, from the nature of this email, it seems more likely
that you are building in your own statistics system, which would at least be
a start, but I urge and beg you to consider allowing for comprehensive game
logging functionality - it allows the wildly imaginative and talented user
community to come up with some pretty amazing systems based on just these
logs alone. One such system that has been created for Half-Life is HLStats
(http://www.hlstats.org), which is a great example of how flexible the
Half-Life engine is and the very clever things that can be done with it.

I know I'm spouting on about Half-Life, so it might be easy to mistake me
for a Counter-Strike fanboy, but I assure you nothing could be further from
the truth. I'm merely a system administrator that frequently gets lumped
with the task of managing server software for games and I just get
frequently frustrated and confused by the lack of decent functionality that
is made available in the majority of game server software.

Regards,
-- david harrison