[bf1942] Linux server status report: 2003-03-25 - 2 more for the wishlist

Stewart, John johns at artesyncp.com
Tue Mar 25 18:14:50 EST 2003

Andreas - thank you very much for your update. I think you will find that most of us are patient, understanding, and willing to do our best to report issues in a manner that will help you fix them. If we know that our concerns are being heard, as your email very helpfully shows, it goes a long way to keeping us happy.

> - Bungee effect and double bazooka reload issues
>
>   I'm currently looking in to these bugs. They are probably related
>   to networking issues, and a fix for these might fix other bugs such
>   as the weapon zoom issue as well.

Clearly this is the biggest issue for most all of us. Anything you can do to alleviate this issue will be much, MUCH, appreciated.

There are two items I would like to throw out for you to add to your wishlist. I think both of these would do wonders to help we admins keep a tight ship, and as a result improve the experience for the end user (and as a result make more money for EA/Dice).

Spectator Mode:

When you get a complaint of a team-killer or team-wounder, there is no way to independently verify that this is happenning. The spectator mode in Half-Life/CS was immensely useful for this. Enforcing rules is nigh-impossible if you can't see the infractions taking place.

Logging:

Right now, I'm sure you're aware, the only logging we see is from the output of the console. Even if we redirect all of this debugging info to file(s), parsing this in any meaningful manner is difficult. If you were to standardize the console output (or better yet, make logging to a new file on, say, every map change), there are plenty of us geeks out there that can then do wonders with this logging to deal with issues on the server, and add functionality. Verbosity is usually good (team-wounding, team-killing, and other game events would be immensely useful).

Thanks very much, and keep in mind we wouldn't be such rabid consumers with high expectations if you hadn't come up with one of the best games I've ever played!!

johnS

http://bf1942.johnstewart.com/