Linux server status report: 2003-03-25

Fredriksson, Andreas andreas.fredriksson at dice.se
Tue Mar 25 05:26:05 EST 2003

Hi list,

to reduce the number of flamewars ;) on what we're doing and not
here's a first status mail on what DICE is currently doing with
the linux server:

- Move to the gcc-3.x compiler

  This will generate better code and increase the server performance,
  but might require that users of older distributions use a statically
  linked executable.

- Bungee effect and double bazooka reload issues

  I'm currently looking in to these bugs. They are probably related
  to networking issues, and a fix for these might fix other bugs such
  as the weapon zoom issue as well.

- Internal code restructuring

  The goal is to reduce the size of the server binary by omitting
  code that isn't currently in use. This will also reduce the memory
  footprint of the dedicated server.

- Road to Rome compatibility fixes

  We will be evaluating this and hope to have it fixed with the next
  release.

Regards,
Andreas