[bf1942] Not ready for prime time

Dark Bobo rickbuford at greeblesnort.com
Mon Mar 24 18:27:59 EST 2003

I've mostly shaddup since my last linux vs windows faux pas, but Spuds
is right. Dice -did- respond to this list, so they -are- listening.
Personally, I feel bad, because I think we pushed Ryan, who was very
attentive to us, out of a job. But, others are very much correct that
the linux server is still -barely- beta quality. It's not playable in
any serious situation. Even my poor little K6-2 500 server at home could
run a halfway decent CS server, but trying to run BF on it is a bungee
nightmare.
If I were to prioritize the current bug-list:
1. bungee effect (not on 500, my "real" server is a dual-2g Xeon Dell
2650, but no beta code goes there) - simply unplayable
2. remote/shell administration - make our lives easier and we will sing
Dice/EA's praises
3. netcode - 8k/sec/player is crazy bandwidth for a dedicated server.
This has to be optimizable.

I say give Dice a chance, although I would agree that a new build should
be a priority instead of waiting for 1.4. I, for one, will continue to
participate on this list helping who I can. And refrain from arguing
linux vs winblows anymore =)

Rick

--
Cardinal Rule of Technical Support, which goes thusly: "Verily, thou
shalt not take unto thine heart any words spoken by the Luser, for I say