[bf1942] DICE update: in-house Linux server

Mike mesler at themelee.org
Wed Mar 19 14:26:20 EST 2003

I have to wonder, if Dice was always committed to a Linux port of the
server, why didn't they design the game to be cross-platform from the beginning like
Id does with it's engines?

It would seem that the extra effort it would take would pay off in the
long run, especially after seeing what is happening with the lagging Linux
server for BF1942.  Most professional hosting services run Linux servers,
and as seen in this list it's hurting BF1942's ability to be that
Counter-strike Killer.

And while they're at it, have them use OpenGL instead of Direct3D so that
the client can be easily ported or run well under Wine.  :)  I think BF194
gets 10fps on my system with the current beta release of Winex. :(  Us
Linux gamers are a minority now, but it won't be long before we have a
reasonable share of the market and it will be worthwhile to port.

Seriously, why not design the game from day one to run under Linux as Id
and Valve have done, instead of doing it as an afterthought?

--

Mike Esler
mesler at themelee.org