Totally offtopic and long: was Re: [bf1942] RE : RE: [bf1942] RE : Re: AW: [bf1942] Where can i DL

Dark Bobo rickbuford at greeblesnort.com
Mon Mar 17 19:40:29 EST 2003

you started it =)

k, I had this discussion on /. with someone too. And as a linux admin in
a Windows shop, I think I am qualified to disagree with you.

Uptime: In our environment, the only boxes that even come close to my
linux servers' uptime, are the Oracle boxes. The reason for this is that
they are never touched without an outage request, three months in
advance, signed in triplicate by every manager, etc ad nauseum. This
means that they are also -not updated- properly. Why? Because we can
never be 100% sure that an update won't hose something seven ways from
Sunday. Meanwhile, I happily, and for the most part, automatically,
update my linux servers every week...more often if something critical
comes up. How is this possible? Because I don't have to reboot the
machine every time I change something as simple as a couple of network
settings. Win2k is far superior to previous version, I agreee, but have
you read your EULA for SP3 or XP? I mean really read it? omg...that's
such another nasty discussion I won't even go into it here.

Dumbing down the install: Just like anything else, it's all in the
admin. With RH being open-source, I have the ability to create a
kickstart install that allows me to pop in a floppy, boot the machine,
set the network info (unless it's DHCP, then subtract another minute),
and ten minutes later have a working server/workstation. My tweaked
install is less than 400M, and there's probably a whole lot more things
that I could tweak to make it smaller. I install only the things I need,
something that you can't do 100%, irregardless of your knowledge level
with Windows. On top of that, you never know 100% what those updates are
doing to your machine. MS-bias aside, that's fact, and every Windows
admin knows it. Any Windows admin that updates his boxes without
pre-planning it is nuts and will have outages. When outages cost
anywhere from $1k to $5k per minute, that adds up pretty friggin quick.

shorthanding Windows:
Exchange: I had to set my linux mail servers, which also serve as the
backup MX servers for our production mail, to 2 concurrent threads,
because when our web servers started throwing errors, the Exchange
server would choke and die on the influx of mail. I'd be more than happy
to shut off seti and show you some sa reports of my machines happily
chugging away at 70-120k emails/day running less than 1-5% utilization.
These two boxes, one at each data center facility, both have uptimes in
excess of a year, are Dell PE1550s with dual 1g cpus. Our Exchange
configuration is a dual PE2650 setup with one server as a front-end and
another to hold the mailboxes. These are dual 2g Xeon boxes with 2g of
ram, plenty of horsepower for -email-.
Active Directory: Alrighty, lets take something perfectly simple, like
LDAP, and break it! I'm not sure how you think AD makes the end-user's
life easier. But, it makes the admin's life miserable. AD on DNS: the
whole "multi-master" replication sucks. Serial numbers on the zones
-never- match. In the real world, that means it's -broken-. AD on
directory services: RR and SRV records, whooptie...LDAP's been around
for a long time (see Novel ZEN, also not my favorite thing in the
world). You wanna talk security, let's talk SELinux. Something the NSA
helped develop and the commercial OS vendors were so afraid of they had
to whine to congress.
themselves.

Support: When is the last time you actually opened a case with MS?
First, you are either paying a buttload every year for your support
contract, or you pay ($245/incident(?)) for each call. The last time I
had a linux question was about postfix. I lurked on the postfix-dev list
for a while after digging thru the documentation without answer. Posting
my question actually got a response from the developer himself (Wietse,
same guy who did Satan) within a couple of days. All-in-all, not a bad
deal seeing as how it was free (minus the cost for my time).

The point of this rather rambling tirade is that if you're already
willing to admit that putting unprotected Windows boxes on the -outside-
of your network is a bad idea, why would you want to put them on the
-inside-?  This is where we digress off into security-in-depth concepts
and that wacky paranoia talk you always hear from the local security
weirdo. But that's another topic for another rant...

Rick

cuban wrote:
> I can't help but to respond to this nonsense. Sorry everyone.
>
> I'm an avid linux AND windows user. If you are getting "random" blue
> screens in windows you don't know what the hell you are doing. Windows
> gives plenty of data as to why.
>
> This very machine I'm typing on (happened to be working on my server)
> has an uptime of 3 months (since SP3 came out). Basically, if you say
> Windows is for amateurs then you haven't used the more advanced
> features. Active Directory is amazing; it makes life on the end user
> VERY simple, which in the end... is all that counts.
>
> I wouldn’t recognize and easy to use distro? Man, I think RedHat dumbs
> some things down worse than Microsoft.
>
> All I'm saying is don't shorthand Windows, in a business environment:
> Active Directory kills any other form of centralized logon, Exchange
> kills Sendmail (if you say otherwise, or complain about resource usage
> you aren't sure of all the features it provides), and NTFS ties into AD
> perfectly.
>
> Though on the internet, I would never even consider using a Windows box.
> I still have my dual homed sendmail box forward all my email to my
> exchange server. I would never put an IIS server up, nor msSQL either
> (at least not for public access)
>

> Just my two cents, but we shouldn't clutter this mailing list with
> anything but BF1942 linux questions. Not that there could really be any
> ;).
>
> cuban
--heavy snippage--

--
Cardinal Rule of Technical Support, which goes thusly: "Verily, thou
shalt not take unto thine heart any words spoken by the Luser, for I say