when, oh tell us when

Björn Krüger bk at dvdboard.de
Sun Mar 16 09:30:54 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

this  should not be a rant, allthough I'd really like to express a bit
of  disappointment  in  this  mail. I appreciate Ryan's work since the
beginning,  and  admired  the  growing stability of "our" linux server
since the very first beta has been announced and installed here.

Nevertheless,  it  is  now  9  days that patch 1.31 is out.  9 days I
haven't  been able to provide the service I agreed to offer to a clan.
9  days  they had to look for public servers to have their training or
borrow  a  server  from  other  teams. 9 days the only servers able to
provider bf42 services were windows boxes.

I  really  think  EA  is  _NOT_  doing  enough  to support the IMO big
community  of  linux  game  server  hosters.  I  know Ryan is the only
developper  on  the  code,  and please understand I am not criticizing
him  or  his  work. I have read his first email when the patch was out
and it was like "oh, a new patch is out, nobody from EA told me". This
is  unsatisfying  and  it  shows  EA's huge disrespect  for  us people
offering  linux  servers. We are some "also running" server admins who
are not taken serious.

I   am   convinced  that  we  really  should  start  to  express  our
disappointment  with  EA...  or  we  will  always stay behind official
development  for  some  days... or weeks?
Maybe EA just should learn a bit from Valve's halflife server to learn
how  to  create  a  wide-spread  gaming  server. I remember that Valve
needed some game server admin pressure at that time, too. It's time we
get active, people.

Ryan needs more support from EA.
We need more support from EA.

Thanks for reading this mail, your feedback is appreciated.
I  know this has been offtopic on this list, but since we have nothing
else to discuss, I hope you won't get upset.

Bjoern