preempt kernel and BF1942 server performance

Mike mesler at themelee.org
Fri Mar 14 17:00:28 EST 2003

I asked earlier if anyone had done any kernel tweaking, and I was
specifically interested in the preempt kernel patch for 2.4. (The patch
has been merged into 2.5 by Linus)

When 1.31 is out I can do some unscientific tests, but I'm really thinking
that this preemptible kernel can help to reduce some lag spikes seen by
players with the BF1942 server.

Here is a link where a 2.4.6 kernel is tested with and without the
patch:

http://kpreempt.sourceforge.net/benno/linux+kp-2.4.6/3x256.html

If I'm totally off base on my idea, please let me know ;)  The only test I
have done (unscientific) was playing Quake 3 after kicking off a make
bzImage modules after a make clean in the kernel src dir.  Overall, the
game's jerkiness was less apparent and more consistent with the preempt
kernel, making it very playable.  The stock 2.4.20 kernel
did quite well, but the jerkiness was more apparent.

--

Mike Esler
mesler at themelee.org