[bf1942] Swap Partition Problem

bf at vandyke.sytes.net bf at vandyke.sytes.net
Tue Mar 11 15:00:55 EST 2003

> yeah. not-this-one at whocares.org
> or linux-newbs at aol.com
>>
>> Anyone just thought about a forum for some of this stuff?

As the person who asked about the swap partition problem I feel authorized
to rebutt this small-minded answer.

I have actively implemented open-source solutions for the last 7 years in
my work environment, a local government in Alaska.  I am without question,
the most knowledgable person with linux in a 100 mile radius.  It's not
that I'm that smart; I'm just isolated :-).  I fight daily to defend the
open-source mentality against strong, but blind, Windows supporters.  It's
not that I hate Bill Gates or Windows, but most of the time I can find
technically superior solutions using open-source software.  I do use
Windows in my network environment, 8 Windows 2000 Servers, and am Windows
2000 MCSE certified.  I also hold a CCNA certification.  I am into
networking.  I enjoy most every aspect of networking and enjoy setting up
servers to do things for me.

I typically install Linux for most of my network service needs, i.e.
webservers, mail servers, ftp, network monitoring, game servers.  I feel
at home on the console or secure shelling into my boxes from across town.
I enjoy sitting at a blinking cursor.

Now as far as my question about the swap partition.  I maintain two
servers that our local broadband ISP has allowed me to install in their
facilities and I chose to install Linux for security and licensing issues.
 We have a growing gaming community with almost 50 active members.  I want
24x7 uptime on my servers as I don't have a lot of free time to just
tinker with them.  I want to play games too!  Our gaming community
recently purchased this new server that is in question and I installed
RedHat 8.0 on it and replaced one of the older servers.  I haven't used
8.0 much yet, but I figured it would be good to install it because I hoped
to have it in place for a few years and upgrading constantly would be
unacceptable.

I have to constantly defend my position to install linux on our game
servers, because other people don't know how to admin them.  I'm willing
to teach anyone who's willing to learn.  That's how the open-source
community will grow.  I'm coming under attack because we're not running BF
1.31 right now.  I have told people that we will as soon as it's available
on our server platform.  I don't tell people that the developer is slow (I
don't think he is and I appreciate his work) or that I don't want to.
Some people want me to switch to Windows, because they think it's better.
It's not their decision.  I will use the best software available and right
now, I think that is linux.  End of discussion.  I constantly evaluate
what is available and what is best.  I will install Windows when I think
it's the best solution.  That time is probably a long way off.

I appreciate this list as it has helped me.  I appreciate the FAQ.  I
appreciate all the responses I've recieved to my questions.  I don't
appreciate small-minded responses.  If you think that your answer serves
this mailing list, then please continue to post those answers, but I won't
be.

Thank you to all who bothered to read this and I hope that I can
contribute to someone else's gaming sucess.  I'm running CS, Q3, RTCW,
MOHAA, UT2003, and BF1942.

Paul