[bf1942] Swap Partition Problem

Reinder P. Gerritsen reinder at strikerz.net
Tue Mar 11 12:44:21 EST 2003

Dunno how RedHat manages it's swap by default, I'm not much of a SysV
style linux player, but on slackware, it's all in the fstab:

/dev/hda2       swap            swap            defaults        0
0
/dev/hda3       /               reiserfs        defaults        1
1
/dev/hda1       /boot           reiserfs        defaults        1
1
none            /dev/pts        devpts          gid=5,mode=620  0
0
none            /proc           proc            defaults        0
0

This automatically mounts a swap partition

Additionally, if one decides lateron, you could create a swapfile in
e.g. /var or /swap by copying a predefined size of /dev/null to a file
on your harddisk
(don't know the exact command by heart, but I used something like dd
in=/dev/nul out=/var/swapfile.000 count 512MB) whitch took care of it.

After this you are required to put an extra swap on in your start files.
(in this case "/sbin/swapon /var/swapfile.000", which I put in my
rc.local (BSD Style boot scripting) Swapfile/partition is NOT an
accessible filesystem from your root, and thus will not be shown under a
drive/partition listing like "df" (like a filesystem such as /dev/shm
is)

As for the reaction below... Hey, I understand some things are way to
simple for the allmighty guru's of the planet, and swap-partitions
perhaps seem trivial to most, and sure enough, this list isn't probably
the best one to be on to ask about it... Apperently there are more on
the the list that don't quite know how it works, so it could be
educational to more of us afterall. But at least have a littl' try to be
kind to those that need to learn. In the end we're all here to get to
the same goal: a large user base of a great game. (at least, I thought
'we' were.)

Grz.
Fox