[bf1942] Re: wine..

Mike Esler mesler at themelee.org
Tue Mar 11 01:46:19 EST 2003

Since it was brought up, I thought I'd post a snippet of the status on
WineX and BF1942 from Transgaming's site:

Significant incremental progress has taken place in Direct3D performance
and correctness improvements. One of the most significant of these is
that WineX 3.0 will have better support for hardware vertex processing.
The NVidia Vertex Array Range OpenGL extension path which allows 3D
hardware to access geometry data directly, is now available for Direct3D
8 programs. In WineX 2.0, only Direct3D 7 based applications had support
for VAR.

Other Direct3D improvements made recently include a correctness fix
which now enables texture stages which may have been improperly disabled
in older versions of WineX. This fixes a long standing bug in
3DMark2000's helicopter sample, where a missile lightmap texture was not
displayed on cards with support for multitexturing. Additional
performance improvements include code to cache GL state to avoid
unnecessary OpenGL calls, as well as GDI device caching code for DirectX
surfaces, speeding 2D rendering overlaid on 3D rendering in some
situations.

Vertex shader support work is continuing, with our developers focused on
their use in real world games such as BattleField 1942. We've recently
added basic support for general fixed-function vertex shaders, for
example. Full support for fixed-function shaders will require some
rearchitecture of WineX's low-level 3D code, which will occur at some
point after the release of WineX 3.0.

Our work on Cube Maps is almost complete. We now have excellent support
for accelerated rendering into a texture surface in WineX 3.0. This is a
key requirement to allow full dynamic environmental effects to be
rendered in games like BattleField 1942. It's also great for running
many Direct3D sample programs which render into a window instead of in
full-screen mode.