[bf1942] packaging bf1942

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Fri Mar 7 22:07:01 EST 2003

--On Friday, March 07, 2003 7:41 PM -0600 Rick Buford
<rickbuford at greeblesnort.com> wrote:

> well, we're not re-distributing source code, but we are building on
> Ryan's work. I'm not about to suggest we step on his toes. If he and
> EA/Dice are ok with us re-compressing his binaries, then it wouldn't be
> such a big deal to toss the whole kit&kaboodle into one nice, installable
> package while keeping just the admin tools in their own, smaller, package.

Two packages are a good idea.

We don't really need or want to re-package the EA stuff. The problem is
that the server must be run from its own directory, and it should be run as
a mortal (ie. not root), so it'll probably have to be installed to a custom
user for each setup. (Ideally one shouldn't have to run the server from the
directory it's installed in, so that it can be owned by root and yet run by
a mortal.)

The admin scripts, OTOH, should just have a config variable for which
user's home directory to cd to before starting as that user. For Tribes 2,
I use a single initscript for all my servers and then generate a separate
symlink to that initscript for each server. So the script gets the user
name from the symlink.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/tribes2 <-- real script
/etc/rc.d/init.d/t2-modname <-- symlink named after user, this is what you
run