[bf1942] game.ServerBandwithChokeLimit

Jon Torrez jon at bordergatewayprotocol.net
Wed Mar 5 18:12:03 EST 2003

Hello list!  Good to back in town :)

Taken from
http://www.ea.com/eagames/official/battlefield1942/editorial/serveradminfaq.
jsp

As a rough rule of thumb, each player requires anywhere from 50 to 80 KBps.
You need a *minimum* of a T1 to support a 16 player server, dual T1 (3 Mb)
for a 32 player server, and just over 6 Mb for a 64 player server (although
that can hit up to 7 or 8 Mb/sec depending on how many people are connecting
and downloading maps). Basically you need some serious bandwidth for
anything over a 16 player server and it should be dedicated hardware (i.e.
it's only a server, no GUI or other apps running on it).

These estimates are above par, I run a dedicated server that at most takes
seventeen users, with a max player count to 32.  I have accounted for
2.7Mb/s at peak game play with seventeen users.