[bf1942] Off Topic Admin Question

Lee Latham leeprivate at cgmlarson.com
Fri Jul 25 17:37:25 EDT 2003

yeah but then they say "I typed 'pico' and nothing happened"

admin: "Nothing happened?  Did you get an error message?"

customer: "No."

"No error message?"

"Yes."

"You mean you typed in 'pico' and it just gave you a prompt back?"

"What's a prompt?"

"Never mind.  Please type it in again."

"Okay"

long pause

"Did you type it in again?"

"Yes, and nothing happened!"

"What did it say"

"It says 'command not found'"

"Ah, okay, it's not in your path.  We just need to put it in your
path."  pause while you find it  "Okay, just edit your .bashrc....DOH!"

At 05:23 PM 7/25/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>then of course there is the basic text editor, "pico" or "nano" which make
>it really easy to configure software on a linux server. i mean vi and
>emacs are great, but for newbs, pico and nano are great alternatives.
>

>On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Andreas, Fredriksson wrote:
>

> > I use vim exclusively for all programming, I actually switched from
> > emacs to vi because it felt like I finally "came home".
> >
> > It must hurt a bf-playing emacs users to hear that the parts of the
> > code were written in vi. :-D
> >
> > But I agree that teaching vi to users not really interested in editors
> > is more work than making a web frontend to ServerSettings.con :-)
> >
> > IIRC there are several frontends readily available already.
> >
> > // Andreas

Lee M. Latham
Vice Field Marshall Admiral Imperator Generalissimo of Sales and Support
(muy importante)
+1 (713) 977-4177 x.103
lee at cgmlarson.com