[bf1942] Info on the next beta

Fredrick Ludden luddenf at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 18:40:39 EDT 2003

Angreas,

<snip>

On another note I've added an option to run multiple servers from the same
directory which should come in handy for you server providers out there.
This is from the next readme:

+overlayPath /path/to/alternate/directory
Settings and Logs are read/written from the alternate path instead of the
usual mods/BF1942 paths. The overlayPath directory should contain the Logs
and Settings directories only.

This also fixes the bug where a /tmp/bf1942 folder would appear if you ran
the server without write access to its settings files.

</snip>

Working for a game server hosting company, I would argue that the statement
"The overlayPath directory should contain the Logs and Settings directories
only." is not exactly what we would like.  In our case, we would prefer to
put the all the standard game files under /usr/local/games/bf1942 which is
not writeable by users and any custom mods/maps under the user's home
directory along with the settings and logs.  This is the approach we use for
other games like Medal of Honor, UT2K3, and Quake 3.  This not only allows
user's the ability to upload their own custom mods without assistance from
us, but also keeps the custom mods from being loaded on every game server.

Thank you for your excellent support!

Regards,
Fred