[bf1942] Cheat

Reinder P. Gerritsen reinder at strikerz.net
Fri Jul 11 05:36:29 EDT 2003

I agree to that.

However, as an admin having hosted games like Quake World, HL, CS, DoD,
TFC, UT, Q3 over the past 5 years, and vigorously have fought all kinds
of cheats on my server, to the point that even some of the most well
known players on our box were caught and kicked out, and resulting in
very unpleasant riots, namecalling, and pushed many of my admins to the
point to give up the crew just because of this, and many DDoS attacks
just because of this stringent attitude towards cheats... I find the
accusal of wanting to show off myself rather appalling.

Why didn't Kick them out? There could be other measures explicitely put
in the maps I am not aware off. If you are on the same team, you can see
an arrow moving across the map fast. If you are on the opposite team you
can't see it... You just get shot in the back before you know it. Now it
might very well have been because of an exploit, but... How do you proof
it?

It may not be of much concern to you, but our community has survived
strongly on the possibility of strong and reliable proof of the action.
As long as I don't know how it works, i find it difficult to determine
of the action was caused by faul play, or just sneaking around very
smart. I would have to see someone flying to know it was a bug exploit,
but in the action, I'm more focussed on the ground fighting there.

Some people in the passed had accused me of being a dictator on my own
box. Aparently I'm being rather fair still trying to at least proof the
fact.

Apart from that is "just banning them" not a solution. As anyone here
with some hosting background knows that banning on a plain IP in a DHCP
internet world is not working. (as has been told b4.)

Anyway. You're right. There are enough way's to find out the basics
anyway. The rest, allthough you may think otherwise, I don't care about.

Hope it gets fixed fast, preferably throughout the game, but serverside
is fine with me, since I don't expect a new client to be released
shortly.