Server questions

Darcy darcy at imgaming.com
Tue Jul 1 01:39:51 EDT 2003

Well, I just started out in hosting a BF server. Surprisingly enough, my
test connection at home on cable was getting quite popular.
I had set up a 16 player server, but the most I have ever seen on it was 12
people at a time. For those that are interested, this is on a P3-866 Running
Slackware on a custom 2.4.21 kernel. The CPU usage when I was around was
about 30-40% (there were only 10 players on when i checked top)
The bandwidth was about 1Mbps combined (Just over 2/3 of it was uploads)
Really surprised that my cable line was doing so well.

So, where my problem lies is the constant amount of segmentation faults i've
been getting. I would come back minutes, or maybe even several hours later
to find it has segfaulted. I only have one map running in the rotation
(el_alamein), so I really have no idea what could be causing this.
Running an strace on the program gives this result, repeating about 20-40
times per second:

time(NULL)                              = 1057036289
gettimeofday({1057036289, 51142}, NULL) = 0
select(1024, [55], NULL, NULL, {0, 0})  = 0 (Timeout)
select(1024, [55], NULL, NULL, {0, 0})  = 0 (Timeout)
select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {0, 14000}) = 0 (Timeout)
recvfrom(56, 0x89b76e0, 4096, 0, 0xbffff1e8, 0xbffff15c) = -1 EAGAIN
(Resource temporarily unavailable)

(with the odd server query)

Is this supposed to be whipping by so fast, so often? In my experience with
a HL:CS server, this only cycled like once a second.

Since I started the strace a while ago, it still hasn't segfaulted, but its
usually when people start connecting.

Checked out the forums and the only conclusion I came to is that it's a bug.
Sound about right?

Darcy