[bf1942] Mysterious connection problem?

Thanil Bernetar thanil.bernetar at gmx.de
Thu Jan 30 11:09:13 EST 2003

At 16:47 30.01.2003 +0100, you wrote:
>ähm,
>i dont see that you opened any ports in your firewall.
>sure you done that ?
>
>greetings
>-----------------
> >Hi Folks!
> >
> >I have the following connection problem. I have installed the beta1.2 of
> >the Linux dedicated server to my machine (Athlon 700, 384 MB RAM, SuSE
> >Linux 8.0, SuSEfirewall2 running) and I successfully started the server,
> >BUT I can not connect with my "Battlefield 1942" Client (Version 1.2). I
> >have edited the ServerSettings.con as described on this list. This is an
> >extract of the console messages:

and

>I use SuSE 8.1, so I'm at least familiar with your distro.
>

>I appears that you are using a multi-homed setup, that is the same as mine.
>

>I got the server to work by binding the server to my LAN port, then going
>through Internet games tag and entering in the IP address of the LAN port.
>

>My understanding is that the BF1942 server LAN broadcast response is
>broken, and that is why it does not show up on the local server's list.
>

>Also, have you tried checking your firewall rejection logs?  Perhaps that
>might give you some more info.

Thanks guys for your advice but I think this is leading nowhere.

(1.) I have opened the ports (14567 and 22000) on my firewall, but the
firewall seems to be irrelevant in this case. I am trying to connect from
within my LAN. I have checked iptables with a friend who has more
experience with iptables than I myself (a *LOT* more) and he says it's all
right.
(2.) I couldn't connect to the server regardless of what I entered as IP
address or port in my ServerSettings.con.
(3.) I started the server on another machine without any firewall and with
some other system configuration too difficult to explain here and it
*worked*. The server appears in the LAN-browser of the client. So it's
definitely something with my machine/system.

*BUT* now I have another problem. Everytime I try to connect to my server I
get an error message that the game data doesn't match the server game data.
I am sure that both client and server have the same version (1.2). What's
wrong with me???

;-)

Thanil