named

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Thu Jan 23 23:23:18 EST 2003

--On Thursday, January 23, 2003 9:36 PM -0500 Dan Hilliker
<dan at hilliker.com> wrote:

> the last 5 PID's are the one I
> have no idea what they are...could they be ghost of my thought to be
> killed BF1942 server running from when I was testing the server?  Should
> I kill these or is there a way to find out exactly what they are and
> their purpose?

named is the executable for the BIND name server. What distro are you
running? I run BIND on my host both to serve my domain names to the world
and to cache DNS lookups to the outside world.

It's useful for a Linux client box to run BIND as a caching-only server,
and Red Hat provides a caching-nameserver RPM just for this purpose. It's a
set of simple BIND config files for client systems.