server logging

Jeff Fellinge jeff at blackstatic.com
Mon Jan 20 17:14:13 EST 2003

(I only recently joined this DL- I apologize if this has been covered in the past)

I am intersted in robust logging output from the server, much like what is availble from CS.  In BF1942, there is a Log directory, but that seems used by a client when it has problems running.  The STREAM_DEBUG output from the Linux dedicated server is good -but it sounds like that is going away.   Are there any other hooks into extracting logging from the system (syslog maybe? startup parameter that outputs to a text file?)

I've used qstat with the gamespy server option to extract current name and frag count, but I'm really intersted in building a parsing app/front end to collect and display stats such as favorite weapon, who killed who what % of time, etc..  Plus qstat doesn't (from what i can tell) differentiate between deaths, kills, and suicides. Plus it is a point-in-time stats leaderboard query and not really an event logger (such as 'player joined axis' or 'player killed player', including kit.

Is this availble or does anyone have suggstions?   I sniffed raw client/server traffic and it is all pretty much binary and looks time consuming to decode- hoping there is an option to drop the data to stream or location.

much appreciated!

Jeff