[bf1942] New Build ... now w/ Bots.

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Sat Jan 18 18:10:14 EST 2003

--On Saturday, January 18, 2003 5:41 PM -0500 "Ryan C. Gordon"
<icculus at clutteredmind.org> wrote:

> http://icculus.org/betas/bf1942/bf1942-lnxded-betaupdate-build-1042921583
> .tar.bz2
>
> md5sum of tarball: ddda3404717998bb095ae27ebfe99e9e

For those who haven't used md5sum before, always check binaries you
download from mirrors:

echo "ddda3404717998bb095ae27ebfe99e9e
bf1942-lnxded-betaupdate-build-1042921583.tar.bz2" | md5sum -c

Note that there are *2* spaces between the checksum and the filename. The
second space is necessary and tells md5sum that the file is binary, not
text. That's why you need quotes around the checksum and filename, to keep
the shell from squeezing out the extra space.

The output should say "OK" if you got a good, untrojaned copy.

BTW, I'm mirroring the downloads here:

http://matureasskickers.net/ftp/BF1942/LinuxServer/

> The server is still single threaded, and still gives a 30+ ping on the LAN
> (since it's doing network updates each tick...30 ticks per second. Do the
> math). This will be corrected in a later build, either by returning to
> threads, or doing packet handling outside of the server tick code. I am
> aware of it.

Ok, thanks for the explanation! When that's done, should that bring the
server back down to low CPU usage when idle? (No, I don't need this now,
I'm just curious.)

> Next build (assuming nothing really embarassing pops up tonight) will be
> after LinuxWorld.

Cool! I recall a LinuxWorld in San Francisco a couple years back when AMD
was showing off Tribes 2 clients in their booth. Maybe at the next one we
can get them to host game servers like this one and show off a combo of
that and web status displays. (My server box is set up this way.)

BTW, here's my server:

http://matureasskickers.net/ftp/Server/