[bf1942] Wouldn't a news group be better than email?

kenk at shreve.net kenk at shreve.net
Fri Jan 10 20:27:30 EST 2003

> I believe email is a great way to handle this.  I've been on Valve's
> mailing list for HalfLife admins for years and whenever this very
> subject comes up, the email wins easily.  If it gets overwhelming, just
> make a bf1942 folder in your mail client and a rule that auto dumps all
> email with [bf1942] in the subject into that folder.  Will keep your
> inbox cleaned up and organized.

While it's true that most people prefer the HLDS mailing list, I know
there is a niche market for a newsgroup. I suggested to the Valve guys
they switch to Mailman as their list manager, which they thankfully did.
After that, I was able to get them to enable Mailman's news group gateway
feature and now they have BOTH forms available to subscribers. It's the
best of both worlds.  I had to shut down my news feed a few months back,
but there was someone willing to take over the feed. As far as I know,
they still have the feed running (I havent been subscribed in a long time,
even though I have 2 hlds servers). Even one of the Valve guys prefers the
news feed to the mailing list.

So my suggestion is to switch to Mailman and have your cake and eat it
too! It's not difficult to set up at all. Heck, I think my Mailman BF1942
lists are actually still up.  I set them up when the BF demo was first
released, but it seems everyone flocked to the web-based forums. Ick..
talk about a pain in the ass.

Ryan, if you want to use the one I set up previously, you are more than
welcome to it. If you want one less thing to worry about I'd be happy to
run it under your direction.  Here's the URL to the web interface:

I can give you a password to the control panel as well. There are actually
22 people subscribed to it that have probably forgotten they are
subscribed. It's a dead list currently.

I cant run the news feed, though. One of the reasons I had to quit the
HLDS feed was because we out-sourced our news service and the new software
doesnt play nice. If someone else can  provide a news server I can point
the feed to them, however. I might know someone who could host the feed
actually.

If you are interested in Mailman and want to set it up on your own system
instead, I'd be happy to help if you need any.

-Ken