[bf1942] High performance build

Zachary Williams admin at ztnet.com
Fri Jan 10 13:49:03 EST 2003

Amen.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brad Davidson" <kiloman at oatmail.org>
To: <bf1942 at icculus.org>
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [bf1942] High performance build

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 at 09:49:17, Andrew Chen wrote:
> What if the switch is a #define?  That's not something you can change at
> run time.  It could be many many more lines of changes.  :)

I'm pretty sure that's what this is. No point in adding lots of flag
checking, when you can just #IFDEF it out compile time. To all of you people
asking for optimized builds, builds without debugging, etc: STFU.

You are here to help Ryan build a stable Linux server. You're not here to
get a fast, configurable customized server that you can sell hosting on, or
use at your LANs. Remember that.

If Ryan does not want to make proc-specific builds because it takes too
long, don't tell him he's lazy, that he can script it, etc. He has
determined that it's not worth his time. End of story.

Removing debugging now is the dumbest thing I've heard. It's in there so
Ryan can figure out what's going on when something goes wrong. Figuring out
why things go wrong is what this mailing list is ALL ABOUT. Not for
optimizing a beta-build to your particular configuration and desire. FYI,
some debugging is in the Windows release too. It's turned off by default in
the config file, but you can turn it on. It pretty much just spams a lot of
object creation info, so it's not all that usefull, but it's there. Don't
complain about the debugging making the Linux version slowerer - it's there
to a certain extent in the Windows version too.

Keep waiting people - you're get your spiffy options eventually. Just stop
spamming the list with inane reasons that Ryan should add your specific
tweak. There's no reason for it when he's allready said NO several times.

-Brad