[bf1942] High performance build

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Fri Jan 10 13:03:37 EST 2003

--On Friday, January 10, 2003 12:58 AM -0500 "Ryan C. Gordon"
<icculus at clutteredmind.org> wrote:

> And, most importantly, CPU-specific builds do not give the performance
> increase you'd expect. Writing smarter code is always a better solution.

Good point. Without seeing the code, it's impossible to say how much
performance improvement CPU-specific optimization would provide. Good code
uses CPU-specific libraries for the compute-intensive bits anyway.

The only part of the BF42 server not in a library that I'd expect to see
benefit would be intense geometry calculations. Profiling can be used at
the end of the development cycle to determine if in fact this would result
in any significant benefit. If so, that small part could be put in
CPU-specific .so's.

In any case, anything short of a 20% improvement would be pointless, and
anything less than 100% would need a very good argument to justify the
extra labor and support for multiple builds. Faster hardware is
comparatively cheap.