[bf1942] High performance build

Udo Held udo at udoheld.de
Fri Jan 10 03:22:02 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:46:28AM -0000, Paul Richards wrote:

> [...]

Thats the deal.

> Its simply asking for the bebugging to be taken out,
> nothing else changed.

I'm used to a debbuging constant in my code. If it's unset the user sees
nothing. :)

If it's taken out by a switch Ryan can still do the debugging.
I don't know how much of the cpu usage is wasted for debugging info on
the servers from people who just want to have a fast server and restart
it when it crashes. I haven't seen to much info that came from the
debugging console on the list that helped to resolve bugs.

Recently the windows/linux speed factor seems to be somewhere between
2,5-5. Many server hosters run linux boxes only and the gamers are
crying for lagfree, affordable servers. I rarely find server hosters in
Germany which offer BF servers. The ones I know are laggy or very bad
configurable, because many server hosters don't have good webinterfaces
for windows servers. (Pain in the neck is that one cannot change the
serverpassword(for clanwars) ingame or by remote console. It needs access
to the configfiles and AFAIK the ability to restart the server(which
many serverhosters can just offer via telephone support).

Regards
Udo