[bf1942] High performance build

Kevin J. Anderson lestat at counter-strike.net
Fri Jan 10 02:20:28 EST 2003

->-----Original Message-----
->From: Udo Held [mailto:udo at udoheld.de]
->Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 3:09 AM
->To: bf1942 at icculus.org
->Subject: Re: [bf1942] High performance build
->
->Hi!
->
->On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:58:42AM -0500, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
->>
->> > 686 binarys should run on PII and upwards and AMD TB and up which is
->> > reasonable for most, because one cannot run a server on
->slower machines?
->>
->> I am absolutely not going to do this, because as soon as I do a CPUx
->> build, someone on CPUy will want a specific build, and CPUz which should
->> be compatible with CPUx won't work for some reason.
->
->Personally I use a AMD TB and the server I'm would be using online would
->be a P III. The wormshl-server I compiled had serverall optimized
->builds.
->
->> The thing takes 2+ hours to compile, more with optimizations. I'm not
->> spending half a day building various versions for each release.
->
->Is the server still so buggy that you have to watch the build process?
->When the server is compiling on it's own one could automatize it, start
->the process and go to bed or go home. Next morning there would be a cool
->new release. Many open source projects release a nightly build(which I
->guess isn't compiled by hand)
->
->
->> And, most importantly, CPU-specific builds do not give the performance
->> increase you'd expect. Writing smarter code is always a better solution.
->
->Hmm. I quess you won't accept any setiathome testing results(i386
->compared to i686). Can you image a software that I can compile and where
->I can run some automized tests e.g. some video/audio
->processing/converting or some 3D rendering?

I also imagine if you built them on a gentoo machine, w/ their emerge
process etc you could script over night some packages for various cpus then
go to sleep.

but, all in good time, because there are much more important things.

kev