[bf1942] High performance build

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Fri Jan 10 00:58:42 EST 2003

> 686 binarys should run on PII and upwards and AMD TB and up which is
> reasonable for most, because one cannot run a server on slower machines?

I am absolutely not going to do this, because as soon as I do a CPUx
build, someone on CPUy will want a specific build, and CPUz which should
be compatible with CPUx won't work for some reason.

The thing takes 2+ hours to compile, more with optimizations. I'm not
spending half a day building various versions for each release.

And, most importantly, CPU-specific builds do not give the performance
increase you'd expect. Writing smarter code is always a better solution.

--ryan.