[bf1942] quick question

Greg Miller gmiller at oei-tech.com
Thu Jan 9 10:25:46 EST 2003

Neil Brown wrote:

> At 04:05 PM 08/01/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >Is it possible to run the dedicated server on a multi-homed system
> >accessible via a lan?
>
> I have a similar system set up and earlier tried to run a linux
> server.  Unfortunately the processor is not too quick (667mhz) - is this
> the reason why I had almost constant connection problems (ie the connection
> problem warning up on the screen)?  I presume it must be a speed reason as
> I was getting that despite accessing it through a LAN.
>
> But the thing I actually wanted to know (which I think might be useful to
> know for many people) is what to change on my firewall to allow me to host
> a (windows) server to the net.  I tunnelled the port 14567 through to my
> internal machine but that didnt seem to work - people couldnt connect to my
> server.  Should I redirect UDP traffic as well or another port too?  Or did
> I just not set it up right do you think?
>
> Any help appreciated,
>
> Neil.
>
> PS good job on the linux server, keep up the good work!

Okay, got a couple of questions for you:
1.  Are you running the game server on the machine with the firewall, or on a
workstation on a LAN behind a firewalled system
2.  Are people unable to connect (even directly to the IP of the server) or
simply unable to find the server in the serverlist ( gamespy in otherwords)

--
name:Greg C. Miller
title:Systems and Network Administrator/Sr. Analyst
e-mail:gmiller at oei-tech.com
url:http://www.oei-tech.com/
voice:(540) 373-6025
fax:(540) 899-5471