[bf1942] quick question

Greg Miller gmiller at oei-tech.com
Thu Jan 9 07:52:07 EST 2003

Todd Johnson wrote:

> I have a similar situation.   Multi-homed Linux server with
> Internal/External networks.   I also set the server IP to the internal
> address.   Nothing shows up in the game list, HOWEVER, you can still
> join the server by picking INTERNET from the MULTIPLAYER options and
> then click AddServer, type in the IP the server is bound to and then
> click JOIN.  That connects me to my server.  It's not perfect but it
> gets the basic job done.
>
> On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 15:05, Greg Miller wrote:
> > Is it possible to run the dedicated server on a multi-homed system
> > accessible via a lan?
> >
> > I installed the server on my multi-homed linux machine, mapped the
> > server IP to the LAN interface and started it up, it said it bound
> > gamespy to that IP on port 22000.  But when I fire up BF1942 from a
> > workstation and try to list any locally running games, nothing show up.
> > Does the LAN require IPX?
> >
> > --
> > name:Greg C. Miller
> > title:Systems and Network Administrator/Sr. Analyst
> > e-mail:gmiller at oei-tech.com
> > url:http://www.oei-tech.com/
> > voice:(540) 373-6025
> > fax:(540) 899-5471

Just tried what you suggested and that works for me as well.  Based on Ryan's
comment that the Lan queries broke when he fixed the multi-homing, I'd have
to agree.  After doing a packet dump, the broadcast for a list of servers is
coming into from my workstation to the server LAN interface just fine
[255.255.255.255:22000-22010], but illicits no response.  At this point
though, knowing that it is running and I can access it is more important than
seeing it in the local server list, but this issue will ultimately need to be
fixed -- when Ryan has the time ;-) of course.

e-mail:gmiller at oei-tech.com
url:http://www.oei-tech.com/
voice:(540) 373-6025
fax:(540) 899-5471