[bf1942] Crash

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Wed Jan 8 11:47:53 EST 2003

--On Wednesday, January 08, 2003 2:12 AM -0500 "Ryan C. Gordon"
<icculus at clutteredmind.org> wrote:

> Your crash is because (apparently) the exec() system call lets the new
> process inherit the file handles from the previous process...which is
> handy for stdin and stdout, but is a serious pain for games that open a
> ton of files all over the place. I'm not sure what exactly to do with this
> yet...probably write a simple wrapper binary that spawns the actual
> dedicated server bin, which is what win32 does.

Can you say more about this? Is this going to affect those of us who
redirect console output to a log file? (Ideally the binary should log all
console output to a specified file explictly without the need for
redirection.) (I, too, have been bitten by inherited file handles, and once
added code to an app to close handles above 2 to some arbitrary range.)