[bf1942] Crash

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Wed Jan 8 02:12:47 EST 2003

> STREAM_LOG: StartHost:¤áÿ¿´òÿ¿áÿ¿[ÒLk+

Uh...can I assume this wasn't really your hostname?

Your crash is because (apparently) the exec() system call lets the new
process inherit the file handles from the previous process...which is
handy for stdin and stdout, but is a serious pain for games that open a
ton of files all over the place. I'm not sure what exactly to do with this
yet...probably write a simple wrapper binary that spawns the actual
dedicated server bin, which is what win32 does.

> STREAM_WARNING: geom::geometryTemplateManager->deleteAll() temporarly
> removed, must be put back in order to restart levels

You saw this because exec() failed and kept going on to the next piece of
code, but for history's sake I'll say that I think this is the exact
reason why bf1942 reboots itself on mapchange...interesting that the
solution was probably overwhelming more complex than the original bug it
was meant to circumvent, eh?

--ryan.