[bf1942] Server broadcasts, stability and such

Udo Held udo at udoheld.de
Wed Jan 8 02:30:30 EST 2003

Hi!

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 03:16:34PM +1100, Tristan Gulyas wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> We're running a large LAN event here in Melbourne, Australia called the
> Shafted Big Day In (www.bigdayin.com).  As our lineup includes the BF1942
> competition, I do plan on running a heap of servcers, hopefully Linux based,
> for the competition (and the pubs).
>
> Our setup includes AthlonXP 1800+, 512MB RAM machines running stock redhat
> 8.0.  Any hints/tips that anybody can offer for stability?  How many servers
> could I comfortably run on each machine?

That seems to be luck. When reading the other reports I would say 1. On a
windows box you could try 2. Some people claim that it even depends on
the linux distribution. Freebsd is causing more faults than linux.
Some people claim that the server running lan games won't lag, but
running internet games is lagging for them. I have a maximum of 2
players for lan games here for testing so I cannot tell.

> I am planning on using the December 26th release unless there is a
> resolution to the raised ping times of the January beta release (which we
> simply can't deal with as the players will complain),  Coredumps in the
> middle of a match are bad, too.

If you have pings of 50 ms or under it's no real problem. You just see
them on the scoreboard and don't notice them.

> What stage is the BF1942 Linux dedicated server at?

First beta and 6 alpha patches. Many people report lags event with
better machines, but for most the server seems to be stable.

> Will there be a stability/ping fix within the next 24 hours?

The latest patch is supposed to be more stable then the older ones.

> I'd like to use the windows server, but in addition to creating an
> administrative headache (all our servers are Linux based anyway), we're hard
> pushed to obtain 5 or 10 Windows licenses in a hurry.

If you really need fast running stable servers use the Windows version.

> Thanks for your time.
>
> .t

Udo