Server broadcasts, stability and such

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at shafted.com.au
Tue Jan 7 23:16:34 EST 2003

Howdy all,

We're running a large LAN event here in Melbourne, Australia called the
Shafted Big Day In (www.bigdayin.com).  As our lineup includes the BF1942
competition, I do plan on running a heap of servcers, hopefully Linux based,
for the competition (and the pubs).

Our setup includes AthlonXP 1800+, 512MB RAM machines running stock redhat
8.0.  Any hints/tips that anybody can offer for stability?  How many servers
could I comfortably run on each machine?

I am planning on using the December 26th release unless there is a
resolution to the raised ping times of the January beta release (which we
simply can't deal with as the players will complain),  Coredumps in the
middle of a match are bad, too.

What stage is the BF1942 Linux dedicated server at?  Will there be a
stability/ping fix within the next 24 hours?

I'd like to use the windows server, but in addition to creating an
administrative headache (all our servers are Linux based anyway), we're hard
pushed to obtain 5 or 10 Windows licenses in a hurry.

Thanks for your time.

.t