Latest build observations

Anton Jansen gradius at fmf.nl
Tue Jan 7 03:53:28 EST 2003

Hi all,

I would like to share with you my experiences with the latest build of
the last 24 hours. Seems that the crashing of the server is gone, I have
not had a single core dump, with the previous build it was something about
2-3 a day. Played Wake Island for about 2 hours yesterday, the connection
problem window seems to have dissappeared, now only the pings of the
players rise.

On closer observation I can see that when I'm alone on the server I got a
ping of 58 instead of 34, which I had with the previous build. (A "normal"
ping has a time of 32ms). In the previous version my ping was not only
lower, but also more stable (less deviation), now with the latest build I
got maximum pings of 158. It has nothing todo with CPU load (which is
always lower than 0.7) or network bandwith. The only thing I could thought
up was the excessive debugging generating additional i/o, which makes the
overall system slower, but I'm not sure ...

Can people confirm my observations?

--
Best regards,

Anton Jansen