[bf1942] Re: New Build and FreeBSD

g8 at the.whole.net g8 at the.whole.net
Mon Jan 6 15:48:31 EST 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

> > I also see something strange on any map, after 15 minutes or so there
> > seems to be a lot of lag getting in and out of vehicles (performing any
> > action).  It gets preogressively worse (first it's about a 1/2 second
> > delay getting in/out, then a second, then 2, etc).  Anyone else seen this
> > (I get it on Redhat and FreeBSD)?
>
> There's probably a list that isn't getting trimmed, so it gets
> progresively longer to process it with each frame. Do you find CPU usage
> starts skyrocketing? Others have said they get lag but have a good
> ping...are you seeing this?

The CPU does not skyrocket as far as I saw (although I only looked at the
load, next time i'll check the actual process).  I am indeed seeing the
lag with a decent ping (around 40-60).

> > The build is working (no gamespy bug) for me on FreeBSD 4.6-Stable, quite
> > stable actually, been running all night (but I do see constant 'connection
> > problems' messages around 20+ players). Things are definately getting
> > better though, thanks Ryan!
>
> Wierd...so GameSpy _is_ working for you? Is this on a multihomed box?

Yes, it's a colo box so I have external and internal networks, although
the external interface only has one address assigned to it (no IP
aliases).  For the curious the box is a Dell 2650 dual 2ghz, IP
63.123.237.8, listed in gamespy as:

 NBrigade FreeBSD Test Dual 2gh

Let me know if you want any further details (as a matter of fact the other
FreeBSD box I am successful on is dual-homed as well.  I'll try to find
a single interface box to test).

-g8