[bf1942] New build.

Troy bwudog at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 04:42:44 EST 2003

Great work Ryan..
but i miss having bots and i cant see my server on my local lan in the local game browser :(

but hopefully its will be a fix in the future..
Keep up the good work
 "Ryan C. Gordon" <icculus at clutteredmind.org> wrote:
http://icculus.org/betas/bf1942/bf1942-lnxded-betaupdate-build-1041834125.tar.bz2

The crashbugs are driving me nuts, and I'm not entirely certain they
aren't race conditions. So I ripped the multithreading out. There's a few
benefits to this:

1) The binary is 1.5 megs smaller (!).
2) Less latency due to context switching and mutex contention, etc.
3) Less context switches.

The end result is that the server might actually respond better and eat
less CPU (although I suspect the lag people are seeing is unrelated).

Most importantly:
4) No race conditions.

No, most importantly:
5) No more complaints that there's three copies of the game running!

You might get all the same crashbugs in this build as the last one. We
won't know until you try it, but it will let us rule out a threading
problem (and at least I can say with certainty that you won't crash in
pthread_mutex_lock() anymore. :) )

Other stuff:

1) The server status info (the little red dot in the server browser)
shouldn't be red anymore. That thing is based on framerate, but since all
the video stuff was ripped out of the Linux server, the frames per second
was always zero (which, I guess, is really really slow. :) ). Now it
reports server frames per second, which in terms of a null rendering
device, is a more accurate term for the exact same thing.

2) I set the gamespy socket to "reusable", which is the ONLY difference
between the game's socket and the gamespy one...if this doesn't fix
FreeBSD's binding problems, I can't fathom what's wrong with it.

Ok, I'm getting on a plane for San Francisco now, but I'll be checking
email throughout the week. Please report success and failure (and stack
traces).

Good luck,
--ryan.