[bf1942] Does BF1942 Linux Dedicated Server benefit from SMP?

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Thu Jan 2 09:51:36 EST 2003

--On Thursday, January 02, 2003 9:42 AM +0000 robert harpham
<kudos at fenlanarena.co.uk> wrote:

> as for does it use SMP i have no found the answer my self, all i can say
> is each CPU on my server gets loaded up on starting a server but no idea
> if it uses them both when running or anyhink!

Perhaps the most reasonable answer is that it doesn't NOT use both CPU's.
Each thread is free to run on whatever CPU has the least load at any given
moment. There's some advantage to having a thread run on the same CPU it
ran with on the last timeslice, because that CPU's cache will still have
valid data for that thread. This is called "affinity".