[bf1942] Map Change Crash

Brad Davidson kiloman at oatmail.org
Mon Feb 24 11:38:23 EST 2003

Daniel Malmgren said:
> Simple...why would you need the _lnxded at the end, why just have
> ./bfserver instead of ./bf1942_lnxded?

Why? Because the server calls bf1942_lnxded, NOT bfserver. If you rename
it, it cannot start itself up again.

Ryan, I know you said it's not going to change... but isn't it possible
for a running process to find out what it was called as, and then call
that to restart? Sendmail, for example, does this. You just need to make
sure that you give it the full path to the binary. As long as it knows the
full path, you can call it whatever you want. It just starts that same
binary again. Seems like an easy fix for all the nuts that are going to
want to rename the binary. And from hanging out in server op forums,
there's a suprisingly large number of them.

Oh, and just out of curiosity... why remove the playbink entry point?
Wouldn't it just be easier to have a function that does nothing but
return, just to cut down on the weird messages?