AW: Re[2]: [bf1942] RFE: TOS bits in IP packets

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Sat Feb 22 14:08:15 EST 2003

--On Saturday, February 22, 2003 3:22 PM +0100 "Daniel E. Atencio Psille"
<dea at atencio.de> wrote:

> did you ever look at http://www.lartc.org or http://www.docum.org ? Those
> sites cover this special topic (traffic shaping and bandwidth allocation)
> in great detail.

Yep, that's why I'm asking for it. If you mark the packets with TOS bits,
then the shaper can use those bits to do the prioritization. Or a router
based on Linux can prioritize packets on each outbound interface.

Take a look at the WonderShaper there. It's great for a residential gateway
based on Linux, and very easy to configure.

> Not that I even understand one of a hundred of this topic - it's all new
> food for me brain ;)

I know what you mean. It's incredibly configurable, but that makes it quite
a big morsel to swallow all at once. That's why I like the WonderShaper. It
provides a working example that's quite useful to the home user, and is
well-documented.