[bf1942] you should all know by now...

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Sat Feb 22 04:52:32 EST 2003

--On Saturday, February 22, 2003 12:15 AM -0500 "Ryan C. Gordon"
<icculus at clutteredmind.org> wrote:

> Optimization bug, for certain.

Aren't those fun to debug? ;) (I've done a lot of optimizer bug finding on
proprietary compilers, both x86 and DSP. At least the vendors were
responsive, in spite of not being open source. Responsiveness like
Borland's, Analog Devices', and Ryan's ;) are why I stick with these guys!)

> As for the "move forward five meters, snap back three" bug...I have seen
> it, but now I can't reproduce the damned thing anymore. If it's still
> happening in the next build (which is probably will, since it seems to hit
> some and not others), then I've got an idea of how to track it down, but
> we'll cross that bridge tomorrow. If anyone has _EVER_ seen this happen on
> a _WINDOWS_ server while having an extremely _LOW_ ping, speak up now,
> because my assumption is that this is a complicated Linux-specific
> problem and not some strange, dark router magic or something.

Holler if you need resources. I can give you a shell login on our box if
you need a live server to debug. Alas, I haven't seen or heard of the
bungee effect on our host, but I haven't had a chance to play during the
week.