[bf1942] Status of Linux server? Ryan? Hello?

Reinder P. Gerritsen reinder at strikerz.net
Wed Feb 19 16:03:38 EST 2003

Reevaluate priorities... *grin* Starting a rant on Gates is realy gonna
help overhere. Blllèèèaaattt. Why is it someone alway's has to say Gates
is evil, and His followers are mere sheep? Everything has it's own good
use, and everyone has his own preferences. Be it windows, mac, linux,
unix or novell. I'd rather use them all on the job that suits them best.

Surely you as a mighty fine example of the OS-knowledgeables in the
world, standing out of the crowd as a sheppard whatching over the flock
of sheep would have read all about how people are supposed to act on the
net (Nettiquette I hear say anyone??) Pitty, I guess I'm realy getting
an old relic. *sigh*

Anyway, this is already much more of a help, cause you now even pointed
out some suggestions on where the used amount of memory went to... Get
my point? You don't get people to look at a problem by just crying out
there's to much memory in use. Unless he's your roomie, or he's having
his chrystal pulled out to see what you have running, with a single
oneliner, you don't give Ryan much to go fixin on, now do ya?

Shall 'we' first try to help Ryan get that server working RIGHT and nice
and stable, and after that try to strip some more 'unneccary' client
code? (Downsizing over 800MB of windows client to around 80 ~ 100 in the
linux ded server is a good part of it already I guess... Wonder how much
code still can be left out? Since - as discussed earlier on the list -
BF42 is not quite written with a port to linux in mind, I'd say this is
already a damn good job to start with.)