DoS via BF42 Linux dedicated?

Christopher Kunz chris at de-punkt.de
Wed Feb 12 11:55:26 EST 2003

Hey there,

yesterday around 23:00 MET, our MRTG showed a sharp outgoing traffic
spike for the machine that runs our lone BF42 Linux dedicated Server.

Detailed examination showed that neiter httpd, ftp nor any of the other
services on the box could have incurred that traffic (about 4 mBit for 1
minute or less), which leads me to the conclusion that only the BF
server could be the source of the problem.

Taken the fact that all game servers on the market (HLDS based, Unreal
engine etc.) seem to be vulnerable to such attacks, has anyone else seen
this behavior lately?

--ck

--
php development | hosting |  housing | professional game server hosting
http://www.de-punkt.de   [ chris at de-punkt.de ]    http://www.stormix.de